Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The end of an epidemic, but the cancer remains!

Lansana Conte, self imposed psuedo-democratic dictator and life-time President of the 'Republique' du Guinea died of an illness yesterday ending a 24 year epidemic of a regime.
Today there was a Military Coup in Guinea and the Constitution and Government were revoked, reminding us that the cancer is still alive and kicking
Conte was able to change the constitution making himself president for life.
But he wasn't able to change his destiny.
Will the coup change Guinea's destiny?
The President has left his country with a cancer and it will need a paradigm shift if Guineans want to ever move foward. The bright side is that there is not much height for them to fall any further.
Ram
A Personal note on Guinea - I lived in Guinea Conakry from 1994 to 1996 and some of my best moments in life were in this Country. I spent most of my time in the interiors of this geographical and ecological heaven and most often tried to avoid the capital Conakry. Conakry taught you to be ready for anything. And thus while life was tough here, you learnt a lot. In dire circumstances, great friendships flourish. I've made some of my best friends here in Guinea COnakry. I met my spouse Jamila here too. Guinea a country probably second to Nigeria in West Africa in terms of Natural resources and yet way ahead in induced poverty because of corruption over all others in Africa. The Water tower of Africa and enough hydel-power potential to light up the whole of West Africa, yet unable to provide 70% of its population with electricity and water. The worlds largest producer of Bauxite. Vast reserves of Gold, Diamond, Forests and enough Tourism potential to take its meagre 10 million population into an economically comfortable situation, and yet - only 2-3% of the population benefits from this wealth potential.

1 comment:

  1. ho ho ho,
    'Tis the season to be merry, so you atleast can't fault the g army for not having a sense of humour !

    I was about to write to you for the prawn pickle recipe ; tks for saving me the effort. Now, every time I use it, can I pass it off as my own or do I need to provide printed acknowledgements to all present ?!

    happy hols

    tiger

    ReplyDelete